People Watching….At The Neighbourhood Gym……
Posted by ErnieJean on October 14, 2008
I love people-watching. The way they dress, walk, interact……….So much so that I wouldn’t mind at all being all by my lonesome self at some cafe, with a nice yoghurt smoothie perhaps, plonk myself onto a table, preferably right in front of where the human traffic is, just watch the world go by.
Recently, I got myself signed up with one of those mega gym centres. You know the ones that look really hip and cool, ultra trendy with dance club standard piped in music? Yes, I gave in to their seduction too, I admit……But on the positive end of it, I am seeing some really nicely toned limbs and abs on me.
Anyway, these gyms are actually a god-sent breeding ground for all sorts of interesting human specimens to watch. Here is where the most insecure, the most confident, the vainest of all pots, Toms, Dicks and Harries….you name it and you’ve got it….come together under one roof, breathe in the same air-conditioned air, lift each other’s sweat stain off from the gym equipments, etc…all for one common goal……to boost one’s health and shape up at the same time.
So, while going through my routine weight training workouts, I’ve made some pretty interesting observations:
1. Forget about those macho men with tight pecs and even tighter butts “eyeing” you……they are too busy checking themselves out in front of those wall-to-wall mirrors…..talk about “self-love” to the extreme.
2. Only “Boys” and “Dirty Old Men” oogle at chicks openly in the gym. (“Boys” meaning scawny geeks who may have hit adulthood but voice still very much “unbroken”). Real Men? They do it too but with “admirable” strategies to protect one’s “manly self-respect” such as discreetly, from the corner of their eyes and chanced “bumping into you while on their way to the water cooler”.
3. When personal trainers are extraodinarily friendly and sometimes, to the extent of being slightly flirty, don’t worry…….it’s not because they are interested in getting to know you in person, but rather, they are trying to get you to sign one of them up as your Personal Trainer, for a fee of around RM140 per session!!!!!
4. Macho women? Haven’t come across one yet. Perhaps they go to the really hard core gyms where the personal trainers whips with lassos to get them into shape.
5. Surprisingly, there are more men with “drool-worthy” bodies than ladies….wonder why….hhhmmmmmm (well, in this particular gym that I go to anyway).
6. Social consciousness and common courtesy is still very much to be desired……..gym-goers still just can’t be bothered to clean up the equipments with their towels after using. How difficult can it be, to wipe the surfaces where one’s sweat come in contact with? And don’t even get me started with their toilet etiquette. Sigh!!!!
7. I know I may be ruffling some feathers here, but it’s really true!!! Those who go for those dance class such as “Body Jam”, “MTV Jam”, “Dance Mania”, etc seemed to be usually the Aunties, Ah-Beng/Ah-Lian Disco “Kakis”, He-Geeks and She-Geeks…….
8. So where do the cool dudes and dudettes (and anyone else who wants to be in the cool category of course) go for their workout classes? They seem to prefer those classes that are more “gym-relevant” such as “Body Pump”, “Body Combat”, etc.
9. Any gym-bunny worth his/her salt will only have one facial expression and one style of strutting……….the “Posh Spice” Pout and a fashion runway walk!!!!!
10. Wanna look like a seasoned gym-ster? Wear those gym/weight training gloves. It doesn’t matter if one looks totally lost in the sea of gym equipments, as long as the gloves are on, one has the license to strut around like some “tai-kor”.
11. Only folks, who are not particularly trim, fit or young, have the “gumption” to walk around the locker room in all their glory. *gag*
12. And last but not least, like most gyms, there are the fair share of the usual loud grunters/groaners/moaners, heavy sweaters and the worst of them all, the equipment hoarders, who don’t seem to be least interested in respecting everyone else’s personal space and or aware of other members’ rights.