Worst than ISA!!!!????
Posted by ErnieJean on November 18, 2008
KUALA LUMPUR: The Government hopes to be able to bring home two Malaysians held at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp when Barack Obama takes over as president of the United States in January.
Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ra-is Yatim said the US had all this while, ignored a ministry request for detainees Mohd Farik Amin and Mohamm-ed Nazir Lep, suspected to be terrorists, to be allowed to face the penalty back in Malaysia. “No charges have been brought against them, and this is worse than the ISA (Internal Securi-ty Act),” he said yesterday after the presentation of the South-East Asia Write Award 2008 winner here.
Talk about BEING TOTALLY SELF CENTERED AND THICK SKINNED!!!!! To the point of not even knowing when to shut one’s mouth before making one look like a total buffoon!!!!
Why did the US set up this Detention-Without-Trial Camp in Cuba? To hold “suspected terrorists” and “enemy combatants” in their “War On Terror”. And since America still faces terrorist threats, their Department of Defense sees no reason in closing the place up just yet. The camp currently houses about 460 detainees from about 40 countries, and is said to include terrorist suspects picked up in Eastern Europe and Africa.
And though I am no apologist of nor condone this sort of detention…….after all, every person deserves to defend him/herself in the court of law……..from what I’ve gathered, the detainees were detained because of their strong link to the terrorist networks, right?
Worst than ISA!!!???
In comparison, why was ISA established in the first place? Set up in the 1950s, it was to fight the communists. COMMUNISTS, people!!! Where are the communists now?
Who gets detained by the Malaysian Government under ISA?
Datuk Mohamed Nazri, told Human Rights Watch, “They [ISA detainees] have not committed any crime because ISA is preventive. You cannot, therefore, go to court. The government has information that something will happen. (Yea Yea….same sort of information about some rally that was going to be held in Parliament grounds earlier this year, thereby causing massive traffic jams all over but in the end, that information proved to be a dud?)
We can’t wait till it happens. Lives and property will be lost. So before it happens we detain them.”- Human Rights Watch
Basically, Loud-Mouth Nazri is telling us that they don’t need solid evidence….as long as UMNO, oops, I mean our dear Home Minister, deems a person to be a danger to society, that person will be detained…..Preventive mah!! Without the proper check and balances, sounds more like another area for abuse of power to me.
Just to prove my point, who has the BN government deemed to be a danger to society (more like a danger to their political survival) ?
- Folks who writes about the corrupted BN leaders (Oooooo Raja Petra is sure one heck of an EEEVIL LORD OF DESTRUCTION),
- Women who either was accused of asking a mosque to lower its azan calls (which was then, proven to be totally fabricated) or deemed to require protection from the BN government’s own henchmen (Can Teresa Kok really kill someone with her sharp wit and radiant pink blouses?),
- Ethnic Indian folks who just wanted equal rights in their own beloved country,
- Whoever poses a threat to the BN government (In other words, “Political Supression” lor),
- Practitioners of religious beliefs deemed “deviant” by UMNO (Remember this….Ayah Pin and his teapot are considered to be very very dangerous, ok?), and
- Suspected militant Islamist groups.
Seriously, our Malaysian Government should be the last to open their gap and preach about “Human Rights” to another nation……TAK TAU MALU KE?