And Then There Comes The Compensations And Hotel Rooms…………
Posted by ErnieJean on December 10, 2008
KUALA LUMPUR: The Government will consider compensating victims of the Bukit Antarabangsa landslide, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.
Speaking to reporters after chairing the Barisan Nasional supreme council meeting, Abdullah said the council expressed sadness and regret over the incident.
“The Government will consider help for the victims,” he said when asked.
Abdullah said, however, that the supreme council did not discuss the giving of aid from Barisan. (Of course the money will not come out of BN’s coffers…..us Taxpayers will be the ones shouldering this burden, right?)
“To those affected, our deepest condolences, and sympathy goes out to the families who lost relatives and those who lost their houses.”
When asked if the Government would gazette such land as permanent forests to prohibit development of homes, Abdullah said there would be no more choice for developers if that were the case.
“The choice to build or not to build is now an option for developers because that is where the air is good and the view is good,” he said.
“To gazette land, where building of houses is prohibited, would mean no more choice.
“At this point, there appears to be some choice.”
Abdullah, however, said that catchment areas that had not been gazetted would be done so as soon as possible.
On Bukit Antarabangsa residents citing carelessness by local authorities for the tragedy, Abdullah said those affected would want to point fingers or complain to the Government at this time. (Complain also cannot ar?)
“What had happened is regretful and was not deliberately done,” he said. (You mean these incidences can be “deliberately” done? The horrors!!!)
“Those who are responsible for building the houses would have considered the soil stability and all other technical studies and should not be taking risks.”
Abdullah said that because of the incident, the order was given to stop all development approvals in such areas.
– The Star, 9th December 2008
Ok……..is it just me or is this “compensation” proposal by Badawi sounding mighty fishy? No, I’m not begruding these people for whatever financial assistance that they may be getting…….but rather, the question is, why now? Why only this time? Could it be our BN govn is feeling mighty rich and hence, generous too, what with the recent RM300million gain from petrol sales last month?
Why announce compensation for this particular incident only? How about victims of all other previous landslide incidences? And by the way, were the survivors of Highland Towers compensated at all for their loss? Anyone?
How about Muhyiddin’s “proactive” proposal to provide those landslide evacuees with free hotel rooms? And UMNO’s setting up of yet another “not-at-all-to-be-trusted” Disaster Fund with pledges from several UMNO division amounting to RM60K (todate). (I wonder whether there will be anymore fools out there who have not learnt from the missing Tsunami Fund incident, and happily contribute to this other “UMNO-endorsed” Fund)
Erm………………Am I missing something out or aren’t the residents of Bukit Antarabangsa quite well off, financially? Do they really need the financial assistance more than, say, some poor attap house dwelling kampung folks besieged by rising flood waters? Why all these quick-to-action pledges for this particular incident?
How much longer can Malaysian taxpayers shoulder this burden and why should we in the first place, when all these were caused by greedy local authorities and greedy developers? If there were to be any compensation to be handed out, then I say the money should come out of them, not us!!
As for the home buyers, some actually blame them for contributing to the “demand” factor, but I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt….after all, one is usually inclined to believe some big-shot-established developer when he tells you that his development satisfies all criterias required of a hillside development and obviously, no one is going to fork out a couple of hundred thousands for a home that one is not convinced of it’s safety factor, right?
And why does it seem like our Prime Minister is sort of coming up with all sorts of excuses and playing the role of an apologist for the developers with interest in these hillside developments? Didn’t he, just one day after the landslide occurred, went all emo and called for all hillside developments to stop? How come the sudden change of heart?
KUALA LUMPUR: Enough! No more hillside housing projects at Bukit Antarabangsa, orders Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.
Abdullah was aware the decision would not go down well with some parties.
“I am sure this will incur the wrath of individual land owners and developers, but enough is enough,” he told reporters after visiting the landslide-hit area yesterday afternoon.
– The Star, 7th December 2008
You know what? Dr. Benjamin George, survivor of the Highland Towers disaster couldn’t have put it more aptly……..
“The politicians will climb up their helicopters and say all development must stop.
“There will be a stop-work order for two months but in the third month the tractors will start work again.
“I have survived long enough to see all this nonsense repeated,”
P.S. Ever wondered what juicy bits could be contained in that little “black-book” of the PM, that his principal private secretary would risk his life to retrieve? Hhhmmmmmm…….